What would it take?
Imagine, if you will, the following scenario:
- The Cubs sweep the Reds at home this weekend.
- The Cubs take 3 of 4 from the Brewers
- The Cubs take 2 of 3 from the Cardinals in St. Louis
- The Cubs take 2 of 3 from the Brewers in Milwaukee
- The Cubs take 3 of 4 from the Giants in San Francisco
- The Cubs take 3 of 4 from the Pirates in Chicago
- The Cubs sweep the Diamondbacks to finish the season.
I know, it's crazy. I don't believe it could happen. If it did happen, then the Cubs would be a 25-8 team from September 1st until the end of the season. It would also give the Cubs a finishing record of 90-72.
Presently, the Wild Card team is the Rockies. For them to finish with a 90-72 record or worse, they would need to go 10-12 from here on out against juggernauts of talent like the Reds, Padres (twice), Diamondbacks, and Brewers. To even think they could manage that would mean ignoring their 7-1 record since September 1st.
So, to answer my own question, what would it take? It would take a sodding miracle. An act of divine intervention. And the baseball gods proved a long time ago that they are not interested in intervening in favor of the Cubs.