Comment Surfing: What do we owe?
Since no one wants to talk about last night's game, I thought I'd expand on a comment left by George about the Cubs' prospects for winning any number of games in the near future.
George points out that the Cubs have lots of large contracts left on the books next year, even after Derrek Lee walks. Indeed, before arbitration raises the team has guaranteed $103 million in 2011 salaries, as well as $62.5 million in 2012 salaries (only Alfonso Soriano's $19 mil-a-year goes beyond that, out until 2014).
But let's not get ahead of ourselves, folks. Even this year, we are paying some horribly untalented individuals some serious amounts of money. For today's moment of fun, I thought I'd direct your attention to those incidences. For example:
- We are paying Aaron Miles $1,000,000 this year.
- Jeff Samardzija is getting paid $3,000,000 in 2010.
- John Grabow makes $2,700,000.
- Xavier Nady: $3,300,000.
- The $700,000 paid to Koyie Hill is a relatively small issue, but I'd like to point out that Geo Soto is making $575,000.
- Chad Tracy is making $900,000.
- And last but not least: Luis Vizcaino is getting paid $500,000.
There's a cool $12 million straight down the tube. Could we bring back Jason Marquis already?