Let's take the rumors one step further
I heard the same rumors that Colin did, but my God, DeRo for J.A. Happ??? You have got to be freakin' kidding me???
NO WAY in hell do you pull the trigger!! I mean, I want Peavy more than probably anyone else here, but would I, in essence, give up Pie, DeRo, Vitters, Marshall, and another prospect for him? NO, NO, NO a million times no.
Now, here are some of the parameters that I understand:
- Phils want DeRo, are kind of sick of their shortstop and his mouth
- Orioles want Pie and they desperately need a shortstop
- Padres want to get rid of Peavy but are stuck with only one trading partner
- Cubs want Peavy and Brian Roberts, and also want to divest themselves of the Marquis du Suck
So, here's the deal:
- Cubs send Phils DeRo and the Marquis du Suck and $3MM
- Phils send Cubs Jimmy Rollins and Happ
- Cubs send Orioles Rollins, Micah Hofpauir and Pie
- Orioles send Cubs Roberts and Garrett Olsen
- Cubs send Padres Sean Marshall, Olsen, Happ, Vitters and Cedeno
- Padres send us our new staff Ace
We give Cedeno, Hofpauir, Pie & Marshall the opportunity to play full time. We get rid of the last year of du Suck. We get our staff ace, and our leadoff man. The Phils get a Super guy, and a #5 pitcher, and get rid of a developing clubhouse cancer. The Orioles fill in a gaping hole at shortstop, a CF with still a lot of upside, a DH who could hit 30 HRs for them, and they don't have to spend a whole lot of money to resign Roberts. The Padres get a bunch of young cheap talent, and John Moores can afford to pay for his divorce.
But, Hendry, for God's sake, DON'T TRADE MARK DEROSA FOR J.A. HAPP STRAIGHT UP!! I've seen Happ, met him, and he's no DeRo (true story, he's from L-P, my neck of the woods, and I am just shocked that he has gone as far already as he has).