Game recap: Rays 8, Cubs 3; and here our troubles began
In the past few days, we've seen the following:
- A possibly devastating injury to Carlos Zambrano, who will miss at least one start as they determine if something is seriously wrong with his shoulder.
- The self-destruction of Carlos Marmol, who walked the first two batters he faced in the 7th, then he hit the next two batters he faced in the 7th, before exiting the game in disgrace only to watch Scott Eyre put down his chunk of fried chicken and surrender a grand slam, a triple, and 2 freakin' doubles. Point of fact, I'm calling shenanigans. There was some jackass in the stands reflecting light into our pitchers eyes. It's the only explanation for this atrocity of an inning.
- The first three-game losing streak of the season.
- The first sweep of the season.
- Al Green live in concert. In this case, we is me, and I just got back.
But there's good news, folks! Although the Cubs suffered 3 tough losses to one of the best at-home teams in baseball, the Cardinals have also suffered 3 tough losses ... in their own home ballpark, no less, to one of the worst teams in baseball. A silver lining if I ever saw one.
However, because I did not see, nor did I closely follow this game, I can't really offer much more feedback, apart from the sick feeling that comes with any outing in which our top setup guy throws 20 pitches, 7 of which were called strikes.
Series Recap: We always knew there'd be days like these. Now comes the real test of this team - how do they bounce back from the most dejecting three-game set of the year (and not just because they got swept)?