GameCast: July 5th vs. Brewers
Mike Burns (1-1, 3.31 ERA) vs. Ted Lilly (7-6, 3.35 ERA)
After yesterday's drubbing, it sure doesn't feel as if the Cubs are poised to take 3 of 4 from their divisional rivals. And yet, with Ted Lilly taking the mound that is exactly the position the Cubs are in. Then again, as Lou continues to tinker with the team, the Cubs remain in their offensive druthers - having only scored 2 runs in each of their last 2 games.
I realize I'm probably crazy, but it shouldn't be so hard for Lou to figure out his team and put forth a plan of action. He has players who can lead off, he has guys who have been swinging a hot bat, and he even has the ability to take his three-or-so regulars who are tanking right now and place them in the bottom of the batting order until they heat up.
But what do I know -- I am a simple blogger.
Theriot, Bradley, Fontenot, Soto, and Fuld -- hmm. Odd. None of these players conflict in the positions they field. There are five of them in total, too. Maybe Lou can work them into the 1-5 slots of the top of the lineup? Derrek Lee would make for a sixth.
Fox, Fukudome, Soriano -- Jake Fox was bound to hit a dry spell. Fukky and Sori, on the other hand, are out of excuses.
Here's today's should-be-lineup based on the past week-or-so of play. Ready?
1. Sam Fuld, LF -- bats left, swings a hot bat, etc.
2. Milton Bradley, RF -- switch hitter, been hitting well as of late.
3. Derrek Lee, 1B -- Low AVG, high OPS
4. Geo Soto, C -- been hitting -- and especially driving -- the ball well as of late.
5. Mike Fontenot, 2B -- bats left, .904 OPS in the past week
6. Ryan Theriot, SS -- Batting .286, but not taking many walks right now
7. Kosuke Fukudome, CF -- bats left, .723 OPS
8. Jake Fox, 3B -- Sluggish rather than slugging, still the best option until Ramirez returns
All I'm saying is that they couldn't possibly do worse than the real lineup Lou's trotting out there today. For the record, that lineup is as follows:
Fukudome, Theriot, Lee, Bradley, Fox, Soriano, Soto, Fontenot, Lilly
But I'm crazy for thinking Lou's lost it?